Finding Female Ancestors
As genealogists most of us have stone walls: may be any time, destination or location. There is absolutely no one solution for re solving an end that is dead our lineage. Every issue has to be approached differently. Because many documents in many locations and schedules are centered around guys, we quite often have actually just a very first title of the spouse, or usually, no title after all. We just understand she ended up being the wife of Thomas Jones. To fix this kind of dilemma we should figure out the right time, location and circumstances in accordance with our feminine ancestor. We should lay the groundwork for attacking the difficulty in a way that is special.
Probably the many way that is straightforward strike such a challenge will be make a schedule of her life. Collect all information known about her. If not much is well known, give attention to her husband. Where had been they when, from wedding and even delivery, into the time they had kids, to your close of these life.
1. Try to find the wedding record itself. Discover the initial wedding record. The wedding application or licence could be more valuable compared to the initial. In the event that you can’t discover the marriage, look for it in surrounding areas, or always check different marriage indexes.
2. Always check all records that are possible spouse to have clues to simply help figure out whom she ended up being.
3. If ancestor fought into the military, check retirement papers for the widow. Military retirement Papers important, specially if spouse outlived spouse. Advantageous to Revolutionary War, War of 1812, Mexican War, Union Civil War, Spanish-American War, Indian Wars, etc.
Ancestry.com has Union Pension Papers. A lady had to show that she ended up being legal spouse and widow of soldier. Refused Pension Applications frequently contain much more details than accepted people.
4. Land records, deeds., homestead documents or any other court documents might provide wife’s name that is first if not her maiden title. Land Records: One of major sources for determining name that is maiden. They are perhaps perhaps not useful in big towns or if perhaps the family rented. If guy passed away with out a might, their estate that is real had be split among heirs. Included all young young ones, also daughters with married names. See them in grantor-grantee indexes. Court Public Records Test.
Salem, Essex, Massachusetts Court of Sessions of Peace 26 Dec 1710
Rachel Codury of Marblehead seems and confessed herself bad of ye
criminal activity of fornication with Andrew Tucker Jr. Of Marblehead.
5. Immerse yourself in most the documents regarding the area. Study other families, particularly her husband’s family members, their career, socio-economic status, etc. Did spouse go usually, or result from a well-established category of the location? Did he cope with folks of other surnames? He may been employed by along with his wife’s daddy, therefore learn with who he previously company transactions. Whom did he purchase and to/from/with sell land? Don’t simply concentrate on the partners. Broaden your quest. Exactly exactly What took place into the kiddies? Perhaps another descendant has information.
6. Trace your family in every census that is possible. US or Canadian censuses, specially 1841 or 1851 and soon after. Husband’s sibling hitched in nj-new jersey, therefore check always N.J. and also you will dsicover their wedding here too. Census: U.S. 1790-1930 will get access to most returns that are census line. 1940 or later on can be had for a cost.
Uk census 1911, 1921 can be searched by communication.
Canada through 1901; FamilySearch 1880 and 1881 census
Old girl coping with family members in census, could be mother-in-law. Look for her DC
7. Always check papers that are private your very own household documents and records, family Bibles, etc.
8. The wedding may well not anywhere have been recorded that survives, particularly when in N.Y., PA, Southern States, or any frontier. Also a wedding in brand brand New England might not endure.
9. As soon as a female ended up being widowed, she became mind for the home. She turn to act as a surety in a bond or witness to land transaction when she needs assistance as a single woman or a widow, who will? She shall probably head to her brothers or daddy in the area. Names on appropriate papers working with a widow might be her loved ones.
10. Sources to test to discover her title:
a. Church documents
HENRY IRISH IMMIGRATED FROM BRITISH ISLES TO NYC IN 1819. HE LIVED IN NYC AND QUEENS. 1850 CENSUS STATED EACH HE AND WIFE BORN ENGLAND. LOST TABS ON FAMILY IN 1920’S. DISCOVERED A COUSIN INTERESTED. DISCOVER WHAT SHE KNOWS IN REGARDS TO THE IRISHES. SHE HAD A BIG PULPIT BIBLE WHICH CLAIMED:
HENRY & ANN IRISH MARRIED 1 JAN 1807 KINGSTON, PORTSEA, ENGLAND. HENRY WAS SON OF JOSEPH AND SARAH (LANGE) IRISH. HENRY CAME TO BE 15 NOV 1787 AT HAVANT, HAMPSHIRE. ANN IRISH WAS DAUGHTER OF JOHN AND MARY (REED) HILL, BORN PORTSMOUTH, HAMPSHIRE, ENGLAND.
GENEALOGICAL EPIPHANY. ! It worked for David Dearborn, it might meet your needs. Seek family members and bibles on Web, etc.
c. Newspaper notices of wedding, delivery, death, going, etc.
Montrose Democrat, PA. 9 Apr 1873
Hitched at Franklin township, Susquehanna, PA 28 Mar 1873, Henry Dearborn to skip Cordelia Annis, child of Mr. Robert Seamans (just source of marriage for that right period of time). 24. Private Documents
d. Personal journals, diaries, letters in family’s possession, etc. Families have records, MS or printed. Samplers – needlepoint and cross-stitch, Asia ink or watercolor. Includes Family Group, parents and children’s names, delivery dates, view of family members farm.
Banton Family (masonic stone symbols)
Samuel Banton (passed away, age) md. Rebecca Gilham (passed away and age)
ag e. Gravestones or cemetery documents. Took 30 years to even find the parents after discovered the death stone. Found descendants a few generations later on to get required info.
Esther spouse of William Barth died Feb 28, 1832 age 78 years
child of Thomas and Tabitha Barlow of England
Had currently traced William Barlow to Esther Bantin. Rock stated, “Esther Barlow had a few young ones.”
f. Death certification of a female needs her name that is maiden on, in addition to her moms and dads’ names and birthplaces. Her husband’s death certificates needs to have her maiden name. Her children’s death certificates additionally could have her maiden name. Her children’s marriage documents additionally could have it. Civil or records that are vital as an example, California Death Index: Pembrook Banton passed away 1940 in Ca. Marital Status: Divorced. Searched divorces and discovered them. Divorce papers suggested:
Hitched in Dubuque, Iowa 14 Mar 1887
We never ever knew they ever lived in Iowa. Their siblings additionally had been present in Iowa.
g. Obituaries of spouse, spouse or loved ones.
Brand Brand New Hampshire Star, Dover, N.H morning.
Died in Jackson, N.H. 16 Dec 1850 Mrs. Martha, wife of Moses Anderson and youngest child of Mr. George and Mrs. Catherine Johnson, aged 17 years 8 months. An infant was left by her child. (Death certificate will not provide some of this information. Obit much more valuable)
h. Divorce records: often give wife’s maiden name, or inform where as soon as married. May tell in which from
i. Probate record of her daddy or her brothers. You might need certainly to read all wills into the county to ascertain her name. Probates may be published, abstracted and indexed . New Hampshire has all wills abstracted and published with an every title index. NH State Papers, vol. 31-39.
11. Prepared or published Indexes:
- IGI or FamilySearch.com
- FHL surname catalogue
- NEHGS or other major libraries, regional towns, universities, etc.
- There are numerous CDs with marriages for a continuing state or province
- American Genealogical & Biographical Index (AGBI) has a huge selection of volumes. Indexes all true names in 1790 census, includes all soldiers whom fought in Revolutionary War. Indexes countess county records, esp. Brand Brand New England. It really is at NEHGS.
- Every-name index to NEHGR – available on CD or posted. This quarterly published continuously since 1847. It really is a treasure trove of data.
- PERSI – index of journal articles from 19thC to the current. Can look for all entries of one’s surnames, not indiv >County histories, particularly Midwest – OH, IN, MI, IL, PA, NY areas. Called Midwest “mug books” by Vanity Press Publications. Information ended up being self-serving, flattered individuals to place your very own bio and picture of self, family members or farm. Not necessarily accurate.
NEHGS has CD along with information in their assortment of bibles.
13. Other Sources to get maiden title:
- Transcribed or posted article or monograph in log in your surname.
- What was faith? Don’t assume just like you’re today. RC, Protestant, Jewish, which branch?
- Variance in documents: Church record calls her Harriet Irish; civil enrollment calls her Sarah Irish.
There are lots of sources, documents and methodologies for locating a name that is maiden.
*Your ancestor didn’t appear away from nowhere. Had a full life and lived somewhere just before wedding.
*When ancestor married her family members didn’t go away – they probably reside in the exact same area.
*Learn in regards to the area: history, topography, faith,
*There is not any guarantee we shall find maiden name. We look and appearance, look for recommendations and sources and approaches to approach a challenge.
*Look in the entire household – all kiddies, siblings, of spouse. The partners could have hitched siblings of 1 another. Seek residing descendants, bibles, death certification of family members, to resolve a name problem that is maiden.
Allen, Donna Murray, “12 How to Find an Ancestor’s Maiden Name, Family Chronicle, 7:1 (Sept/Oct 2002);62
Carmack, Sharon DeBartolo, A Genealogist’s help guide to Discovering www.realmailorderbrides.com/ Your ancestors that are femaleCincinnati: Betterway Books, 1998).
Deerborn, David C., “Methods to determine a Wife’s Maiden Name,” The Essex Genealogist, 12 (1992):3-15
Dollarhide, William, “Identifying Female Ancestors: Some Case Records,” Heritage Quest, 17:3 (May/June 2001):8-17.
Hogan, Roseann R.. “Female Ancestry,” Ancestry, 12:2 (March/April 1994): 26-28.
NEHGS Lectures on Tape
- Types of Finding a Wife’s Ma >Schaefer, Christina Kassabian, The concealed 50 % of the family members: A sourcebook for women’s genealogy (Baltimore:Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999)