The key concern of Tobacco Control is give a forum for research, analysis, commentary, and debate on policies, programmes, and strategies which can be prone to further the objectives of a tobacco control policy that is comprehensive. The introduction should indicate why the research reported or issues discussed are important in terms of controlling tobacco use, and the discussion section should include an analysis of how the research reported contributes to tobacco control objectives in papers submitted for review.
Documents firmly anchored to a strategic policy and programme context are more inclined to be accepted for book. Due to the fact log seeks to achieve a worldwide readership, writers should think about whether their intended submissions target problems or themes, that are probably be of great interest to scientists employed in other countries. Extremely parochial problems, that incorporate few classes for tobacco control policy outside a paper’s local context, are not likely to get high concern. The manuscripts editors will generally speaking perhaps not offer high priority to:
- Studies of smoking cigarettes prevalence and its own correlates. They are most suitable to journals that are national. Few people residing outside a national nation have an interest in whether that country has 30% or 35% of cigarette smokers.
- Knowledge, attitudes, behaviour (KAB) studies of specific populace teams or medical researchers. Once again, they are better suited to national journals or even to wellness speciality that is professional. Few individuals in other nations could be thinking about (for instance) whether nurses in a hospital that is regional thinking about helping patients quit. National studies, and people using studies that are such initial areas are of more interest.
- Reports that evoke unanimous “so what?” responses from the editors. They are documents with findings that seem to hold no importance that is obvious changing policy or practice in tobacco control. They often times show methodological finery, but don’t take us anywhere essential or interesting.
- Advice pieces where in actuality the views are unoriginal, badly argued, naive or neglect for crucial ethical problems in favor of sloganeering.
- Documents that show the writers have not exposed Tobacco Control nor comprehend its focus that is primary on control in the place of on tobacco and its own usage and wellness effects. We have been thinking about such documents, but only when their writers address the implications of these findings for tobacco control.
- Papers with glaringly apparent, fatal problems that are methodological.
- Documents on topics that need extremely technical or discipline-specific language not likely to be comprehended by the most of visitors.
- Documents that are replications of currently well-established findings or provide little information that is new.
- Regional studies in which the implications for the journal’s audience that is international not clear.
- Reports written for governments or neighborhood wellness authorities that some body thought could be offered a fast make-over and presented as a log paper.
Tobacco Control adheres to your greatest requirements concerning its editorial policies on book ethics, systematic misconduct, permission and peer review criteria. To see all BMJ Journal policies please make reference to the BMJ Author Hub policies web page.
Articles are posted under a special licence or non-exclusive licence for British Crown workers or where BMJ has agreed CC BY is applicable. For people authorities officers or pay for college essay workers acting included in their formal duties, the terms are as stated prior to our licence terms. Writers or their employers retain copyright. Start access articles could be reused underneath the regards to the appropriate imaginative Commons licence to facilitate reuse of this content; please relate to the Tobacco Control Author Licence when it comes to Creative that is applicable commons.
Tobacco industry funded work
Tobacco Control will maybe not think about for book documents reporting work funded, in entire or perhaps in component, with a tobacco business or tobacco industry company. Nor will the consider that is journal by writers whom accept tobacco industry capital, including money for research costs, for several or section of any author’s income, or any other kinds of individual remuneration. For more info, please check this out editorial providing the thinking behind the journal’s policy. Failure to declare interests that are competing distribution, or whenever a write-up is commissioned, can lead to instant rejection associated with the paper. In case a contending interest comes to light after book, Tobacco Control will issue an official modification to or retraction for the entire paper, as appropriate.
Material previously published online
Tobacco Control is prepared to give consideration to papers based wholly or in component on product previously posted on the web. Nevertheless writers must look into an editorial with this topic: Prior publication on the net: brand brand new log policy. The editor keeps the right that is customary make modifications however you like and in case essential to reduce, with all the approval for the author(s), product accepted for publication. Any written or illustrative product that happens to be posted somewhere else should be duly recognized and combined with the written consent for the copyright holder (this might be the publisher as opposed to the writer).
Under unique circumstances the place where a paper’s findings have instantly policy that is relevant warranting urgent book, manuscripts can be fast tracked in front of the normal queue of papers. If you feel you feel it is of sufficient importance to be handled urgently that you have good reasons why this is true for your paper, please detail these in a cover letter, explaining the importance of your work for the field and the reason. This demand doesn’t guarantee that the editors will concur, and just a couple of documents per year is going to be expedited with this foundation, however it can help the editors to judge the paper’s value within the present context.
Formatting, terms and revised manuscripts
Documents on electric cigarettes should utilize the term ‘electronic cigarettes’ on first usage, and after that the abbreviation ‘e-cigarettes’ may be utilized. Documents on other smoking distribution systems may continue steadily to utilize the word ‘electronic smoking distribution systems’ followed by the abbreviation ‘ENDS’ after very very first usage.
Whenever uploading a revised manuscript, writers must also consist of an independent manuscript file showcasing the tracked changes to exhibit the editors the distinction through the version that is previous. The monitored modifications document should really be uploaded as a supplementary file.
Research gu > that is reporting
BMJ calls for conformity to your following reporting instructions. Please upload the appropriate finished list for your research type along with your distribution, and label it “Research checklist”. If no relevant checklist is present for the research type, this is suggested regarding the distribution type.
CONSORT statement – Required for all randomised managed studies
PRISMA statement – necessary for all systematic reviews
EVEREST statement – Required for many financial evaluations
STARD statement – Required for many research that is diagnostic
STROBE statement – necessary for all observational studies
SQUIRE statement – Required for several quality enhancement studies
Guidance and types can be obtained from EQUATOR.
We welcome video clip abstracts to come with accepted research articles. These allow authors to really talk through their work beyond the limitations of the formal article to improve the user’s understanding. Note you to consider submitting a video abstract until your paper has been accepted that we will not ask. Please do not try to upload a video clip abstract upon initial distribution of the manuscript.
There are numerous tutorials online which could guide the manufacturing of a video clip abstract, using commonly and frequently software that is freely available. Windows film Maker and Apple iMovie would be the many typical examples. Types of video clip abstracts can be obtained from The BMJ. Listed here are a few tips for making a video clip abstract. Writers could also would you like to ask their institution’s press/media office for help.
- Movie abstracts must not stay longer than 4 moments.
- This content while focusing associated with video clip must connect straight to the scholarly research which has been accepted for book, and really should maybe maybe not stray beyond the information. We recommend itself i.e. briefly outline the background/context of the study, present your research objective, outline the methods used, present the key results and then discuss the implications of the outcomes that you follow the same structure as the paper.
- The presentation and content associated with movie should really be in a mode as well as in terms which will be understandable and available to a broad medical market. The primary language should be English, but we welcome subtitles an additional language. Please avoid jargon that’ll not be acquainted to a broad audience that is medical plus don’t utilize abbreviations.
- Writers often talk straight into the digital digital digital camera and/or provide a slideshow, but we enable the utilization of other appropriate artistic and material that is audiosuch as for instance animations, videos, nevertheless photographs, figures, infographics). Should you want to utilize product from formerly posted work or off their sources, please receive the appropriate permissions through the publisher that is relevant copyright owner.